Are you a sports nut

             I would love to know the percentage of people who like sports. I suppose there are different categories like being a fan as opposed to participating. I like watching golf but I don‘t play. My Tiger Woods PS3 got a workout from my couch. I on the other hand did not work out playing golf. I have season tickets to football, lacrosse, and hockey. I have never played football, but I was good at lacrosse and hockey. I suppose I am a sports nut, or at-least a couch nut.
            I love going to the games. Sure the players make far more than me, but because I care to go is why they get paid I guess. Nobody is paying to see me play. I get all riled up when my team loses. From my seat I can certainly do a better job. I play NFL and CFL fantasy pools, and those things rock. It’s a cool way to be part of the game I guess. I used to run a hockey pool but it is very time consuming. Being in the stadium is far better than sitting at home.
            Do you have jerseys? I have a few but what happens when your sports idol does something stupid. I have lost a few jerseys because if stupid behavior. The sports heroes I follow occasionally are less than stellar off the field. It might be better if I pick players with character more than points. I have seen fans fall to their death at a stadium. I have seen sports stars do stupid things as well. Maybe the sports nut on and off the playing surface have issues.
I do feel that sports bring people of different lifestyles together. We sit in a building like the titanic. There are those in expensive seats and us poor saps way up in steerage or what they call the nose bleeds. When the team sinks we all sink. In a strange way it’s kinda cool. Funny that you can see expensive seats below that are empty but you can’t sit in them if there vacant. The rich go nuts if steerage try and move up. Is it about the game or prestige based on where you sit?
            What does God have to say about sports? Paul says in Acts 20 to run the race to get the prize. I love John 6 because Jesus says some crazy stuff that some of the disciples could not understand. Some of these people turned away and left. The remaining twelve were asked by Jesus if they wanted to leave too. They replied “Where would we go.” That is it in a nut shell. We join a team as a fan and then we are stuck. It’s rare that people change teams. They just ride it out through the good and bad. I think that is what team God is looking for: loyal fans.
            I know that some soccer fans get a bit too rowdy. Some fans have even died. At a Baseball and Hockey game fans can get hit by pucks and balls. I have seen many people clobbered by players on a football field. I even saw a streaker get decked by a player. The other day a cheerleader got crushed on the sidelines by a receiver. I also saw a puck fly off the protective netting and smoke an old lady in the head. Being a fan can be dangerous.
            October is the best time of years for the arm chair sports fan. I love the beginning of the Hockey season. My CFL football is entering the playoffs soon and the NFL is in full swing. This year we have playoff Baseball in Canada. As a fan I am consumed. I even bowl so it’s twenty four seven sports for this out of shape guy. I find that August is the worst month for sports. We are always trying to find a time to go away and not miss any games. That is tough if you don’t travel in august. I am not just a sports person but it is a part of me. I love cheering in the games.

            I think the fan has their role to cheer and boo. I think the player has a role to be the local hero. We have villains and heroes in sports. Together the fan and player make the community alive. There is an argument about stadiums and who should pay for it. I think we all should play a role. Our community will never unite in any other way than in times of war and sports. Sports are way safer by far. We need sports to bring community, hope, and passion to this crazy world. It’s not about the money but about the people who cheer and the people who play. We’re all a part of everybody. I think exercise and sport challenge us and enlighten us in places the working world could never do.

Comments

Popular Posts