Messing with the spiritual bond


I had a lady tell me the other day that she is divorced. I was kind of shocked. She was a very nice lady. Nice ladies don’t get divorced, do they? She must have had a mean husband. I mean, nice ladies don’t marry mean husbands, do they? It was a pretty interesting conversation. All she kept repeating is holding hands. It’s all she wanted in public. One day she realized that they would spend the rest of her life not holding hands because he hated it. Gut wrenching story.
            So, I suppose she left him. I did not ask. Was there more to the tale? I suppose there was but I did not pry. Some time later she perked up “It’s spiritual you know.” Where did that come from? I guess she just wanted to talk. She continued, this year has been tough. She lost several relatives and now is divorced. My friend said she was exhausted. Spiritually? This lady went on to believe that a marriage has a spiritual component. I for one, believe her.
            We talked about dating. She has found no spiritual connections with anyone. It’s frustrated her. Why? Because she still did feel connected to her Ex. Oh, I know what she means. Try as we may, you can’t break a vow that easily. A spiritual bond is what it is. You can’t touch it, break it, or see it, yet, you can most certainly feel it. Duh, if I’m a pastor then I believe in God as spirit. Is she religious? I don’t know. Yet, a self-professed atheist was listening. She piped in that she believed it was spiritual too. What does that mean?
            So, all three of us began to talk. It opened up a pretty interesting conversation about God. We all agreed that God’s words are good. The Bible is generally a positive thing. The spiritual is good and bad. However, to the atheist, God cannot exist. yet, somehow the spiritual can? Seemed odd to me. The real question is “if we don’t love someone anymore, why the spiritual bond?” Seems to me that some unseen forces are at work when we decide to attach ourselves to someone. It’s something spiritual.
            What does God have to say? Matthew 19:6 says “So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, let no one separate." Further to that, I feel that sleeping with someone creates more than an orgasm. There are feelings. I also truly believe that one person is more invested than the other. Further to that is this statement “Just because you’re done with your feelings, your feeling might not be done with you.”
            That comes back to Jesus statement. They asked him about divorce during that conversation. He told them that Moses gave the divorced a piece of paper but it was not that way with God in the beginning. When I became a Christian, some things shocked me. The thought that feeling twisted around our Ex or bad characters should be no big deal. Yet, God said the spiritual changes everything it touches. That shocked me. I bet it would shock the atheist too, yet it didn’t. She believes in the spiritual but not God. If God was a spirit, then aren’t they connected somehow? How can two physical beings sleep together and become spiritually connected?
            My lady friend wants to divorce her husband totally. She is frustrated that the spiritual is not part of the divorce. I know for a fact that my Ex is stressed around me. Why? I have never laid a finger on her ever. She left me. Yet, her hands shake around me. There is strain between us. I totally believe somethings are forged for life. They just are. Like spiritual bonds. Is there a spiritual connection that can’t be broken by humans?
            They say that sleeping around is bad. You can get pregnant. You can catch a disease. Can you create a bond that was never intended? A bond that ruins a friendship? One always wants more. I empathize with my lady friend. I wish I could break my past marriage spiritual bond. In time it sort of fades. I feel that I love my current wife. Yet, something is off just a little. Something I lost in the first divorce. Some call it trusts issues. Some call it carefree living. Our view of people changes ever so slightly when a couple break apart. I feel messing with a spiritual bond or vow will do that to you.
faithcomesalive.org


Comments

Popular Posts