My last Summer


Is it my last summer? I have dwelt on death too much in the last two years. I few people around me have died including my mother. I suppose that it’s natural. I am reflecting on life when people die. Possibly it’s a midlife crisis. I wonder if midlife crisis starts when people die? Yet, I am clearly reflecting. My mother died on or around may 30 last year. She never got her last summer.
Yes, she did. It was the summer before. Ah yes, but the next summer had arrived. I bet she was planning summer things. The weather was better already in May. It was basically June. In Canada that is summer. Was she going away? Was she taking time off? Were there plans? This summer we planned a few trips. I have booked concerts in the fall and two next year. I have tickets to hockey and lacrosse already. There are plans. Was this my last summer? What happens to my plans?
I am not dying so why think about it. Well, my mother wasn’t sick either. She had plans. I stood there yesterday looking at August 31. I know it’s officially not the last day of summer, but my summer plans were finished. We are planning so much for the upcoming year already. I have a new reading plan coming together for 2019. We are saving for a trip in 2021. I want to retire in 10 years. Oh, there are plans.
I hear the noise. People complaining about global warming. People harping on leaders. I think people complain about almost anything. The price of gas and milk. Yet, another summer is slipping by. My mother never got the next one. At the end of a year we see a list of the famous that died. It’s always surprising. We also see posts of people being gone for 10 years. That is always stunning. They all missed their last summer.
What does God have to say?
Ecclesiastics 1:3-4 “What do people gain from all their labors at which they toil under the sun? 4 Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.”
For many years now, the wife and I have given 10% of our earning to charities. Sometimes we just give to those around us in need. At times, I watch others go on trips or buy nice things. They are using their 10%. I have a list of things to get too. I will have them but it takes us longer. The verse above is important.
            Life will go on when you die. I listen to the music that my mother can’t anymore. I feel the sun on my face this summer. She lost that last chance. What 10% has taught me is time. People need help. A little more time to set things right. We give so that they hopefully will have more time. Saving instead of buying takes time. It’s not waisted time to me. The other day I had a friend who needed a buffer of money to get by a little longer. We helped. Another friend was dying last Christmas. We gave money to make it the best last Christmas. He won’t have another, it was his last one. His last summer too.
            If I go to concerts next year, then it’s a blessing. Some won’t get that far. If I make it to Greece in 2021 it’s a blessing. Three more ends of the year death lists will have passed by then. If I retire it’s a miracle. So many will die even before that. All of them missing their last summer. I knew a guy that owned several houses. About to retire: gone. I knew a lady who bought the best Winnebago for summer trips. Three months later: gone.
            God is talking reality. How you end is important because you don’t know when. Go out as a blessing or a curse it’s up to you. Some would say use and abuse before you go. Do all you can. Yet, what remains is you. We have good and bad memories of my mom. They did not go with her. They stay will those getting her last summer. I see that opening your eyes to the needy might be hard. Yet, they need some of your time. Maybe even some of your money too. Why not give to those who need more time before your last summer arrives without you. Time doesn’t give a dam what you planned for. Do you know that?
faithcomesalive.com


Comments

Popular Posts