Time for a breather

The other day I heard a sermon about us being wrapped up in social media mania. We are people. That means we can talk. We want to be noticed, loved, and cared for. Social media is just that: a place to be accepted. Somehow, this place of safety and home like qualities have gone rouge. Where is friendship on the web? Where is honesty? Is there truth or acceptance of others. I fear that rage, intolerance, and segregation have taken control of our social net.
            Years ago, now, I was introduced to the internet. They called it the web. It was a cool way to talk to others in their homes through my computer. It was just words on a blue screen. Since then, we have evolved. The sermon I heard hit it on the head. We must be heard. Even at the cost of friendship, honor, and community. We must be heard. Seems stupid I’m complaining about the medium I’m using to talk to you.
            Recently, I have backed off. I want to use the web to promote hope. I want to promote God. I love posting my life. I hope to inspire others through the life I lead. Yet, social media has gone to seed so quickly. It seems broken and in ruins. It makes me so sad that I have had to back off. Take a breather. I’m not sure I like social media anymore.
            Is it that I have been bashed? No, I’ve been treated fairly well by people in the net. There have been a few mean people, but not many. It’s the negative posts that are killing me. Posts ranting about false truths. Posts hating another by what they believe. Posts, my pastor pointed out, that demonize people for being individuals. I’ll admit Trump has disappointed me. Trudeau in Canada has been less than stellar. The gay agenda is not my bag. Yet, all these people are just that, people. I’m not about to bash people for what they believe or who they claim to be. The web though, does.
            What does God have to say? Proverbs 14:15 says “The naive believes everything, But the sensible man considers his steps.” God wants us to take a step back from this social media. It was given to us to draw the world closer. We have let it push us apart. Our opinion is good. Hating other opinions is what’s killing us. In the past we respected persons no matter what they believed. Today it’s gone astray. A web of hate and disaster is all we have now. God took away speech so many years ago at the tower of babel. I have felt that the net was a gift to bring us back together.
            Yet, here we are. The tower of Babel was destroyed because we took it and used it the wrong way. We wanted to rule, be God, and strive for too much. The web today is an avenue to hit the same heights. We must be heard. We must be honored. We must be accepted. Or what? Or else? Our social media is in the brink of collapse. The vile hatred cannot be sustained. Something bad will happen. In a way it already has. Some leaders have wondered if Trump should be killed. People have died in that flavor. Terrorism has a voice. Where will the net go if we let this continue? I know people are tuning out. The stock on the net has fallen. I don’t want the net crushed. I want my net back.

            It begins with us as my pastor said. Each one of us should respect others. We should respect the net. Make healthy remarks. Seek understanding. Your opinion is just one of many. Can you handle that? Your views are just one of many. Can you handle that? If you can’t then the net is lost. This cannot go on. Duh, hatred breads violence. Are you willing to let this cool thing called the web, net, or social media just die a horrible death? Like I said, I’m sad I’m taking a breather from you. I fear I have no choice. I don’t want you to hate me too.
faithcomesalive.com

Comments

Popular Posts