It's so sad

           This week a little girl and her dad were killed in a bizarre incident. The estranged Mom and dad had a friend they knew. This friend killed the dad and little girl. What’s worse is that he also did unspeakable things to the child. My wife always says “It’s so sad.” Yes, tragedies like what happened this week are so sad. I think the sad part is that we have seen this thing before and it’s not improving out there.
            People love to say the Bible is all about bad news. God creates people and then God throws out people because they sinned. God smites evil doers. God does all these seemingly bad things to innocent people? Well no, they are not so innocent. The end of the Bible says that things on earth will go terribly wrong. Women will eat their children and plagues will rise. There will be earthquakes and death all around us. What do you see today?
            I find it interesting that people believe times are bad. Why do they say that? What is worse that Hitler during World War II or the Black Plague in Europe? Moms have killed there kids. Earthquakes have rocked all the continents. We have tsunamis, terrorism, and plagues. Maybe times have always been bad. We take the Bible out of the judiciary and schools but we complain things have gone wrong. Now we have more gangs and more violence in our youth than ever before (so they say). Does the absence of God make our lives better or worse?
            What does God have to say about sad times? I will give a few examples. Exodus 15 26 says “The LORD said, "If you are careful to obey the LORD your God, do what God thinks is right, pay attention to his commandments, and keep all of his regulations, then I won't bring on you any of the diseases that I brought on the Egyptians. I am the LORD who heals you."
Jerimiah 29:11 “For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”
            God has the ability to stop trouble. Jesus says in Matthew 6 that it rains on the wicked as much as on the righteous. The scripture above shows that God wants us to listen and be part of what He is doing on earth. When things go wrong it’s usually because someone chose not to listen. Someone chose to do what is wrong in the eyes of the Lord. In Luke 19 Jesus approaches Jerusalem and cries because they don’t seem to know that God is still here. I feel that God is in that same place today.
            The other day Calgary city council voted to invoke security measures for the first time ever in their meetings. They said times are not the same as they used to be. Are we ok with times being not what they used to be. What did they used to be? I know some say moms stayed at home, men did most of the work, and families went to church. That is so archaic and so backwards. People cared for politicians and the police. We looked to space and looked to God for our dreams to come true. Today we install metal detectors in schools. We run gang programs and abuse counseling. There is no space program.
            There were 316 murders in Detroit in 2013. In Calgary last year there we about 30 murders and we have almost double the population. This year there are 76 shootings and I’m stunned. For Detroit, that might be normal, but for here that is certainly not normal. When I was young a shooting or death happened a few times. I don’t recall that much trouble. I know I was young. Still we did not need a buddy system to walk to school.

            Is it possible that the loss of God in schools is proportionate to crime in our communities? God is not a policeman but he does incite forgiveness, love, caring, and compassion in his people. As a Christian, I think this way. I think about my actions towards others. I think about my conduct in public and private. These days we are in an entitlement society. The violence is so sad because kids think they rule and are entitled to rule. The problem is that nobody is telling them it’s wrong. If people would only listen, maybe, just maybe, things might get better.

Comments

Popular Posts