Taylor Made


There is this creepy dude that is 48 years old (almost 49 buddy). He likes young sweet innocent music artist Taylor Swift. There seems to be something terribly wrong with this picture. Old guys don’t love young beautiful female artists unless they are very creepy don’t they? I suppose it looks creepy but I’m that guy (and I’m not creepy).
            Several years ago I stumbled onto this budding young country star and bought her album for my daughter. It’s what she wanted not me. One day I was bored and put her second album into my iPod. That was it I was hooked. Was it because she is young, pretty, and sexy? Actually, no it was not; I went hook, line, and sinker for her words. You see at that time I was hitting my midlife crisis and I wasn’t going to take it from mean people anymore. That makes me Taylor made for Taylor Swift.
            This girl/woman spoke about wanting to love, hating mean people, and looking for the laughter in life. So was this former creepy 48/49 yr. old. In her new album “1989” she says she can finally breathe. In another album she points out that she is done with mean people and so am I. I just needed someone to tell me it’s ok to stand up for yourself. Taylor did that for me. Her five albums have been a personal journey for me. I have laughed and cried at the words she wrote. Yes I’m a guy (guys don’t cry), and yes I’m an adult (so I better be serious). I’m Taylor made because she helped me stand up for me.
            What could God possibly have in common with Taylor Swift? It’s like this: God gave many people in the past a person that guided them to a better place. Moses had God himself. Daniel had Johnathan. The disciples had Jesus. Israel had Prophets and Judges. God always gives us help when were lost. Today the world has Jesus. Oh that’s a nice saying but we really do. Jesus said that when he died he would rise again, and send a comforter and guide: The Holy Spirt. God always has our back just like T Swift’s words have mine.
            Guys have a secret: we do love to be loved. We love our moms and dads. We want recognition from others. Guys love to be touched. Taylor’s words are all those things. Love drives her mad. She writes down her favorite song about her boyfriend. She says we will get tricked and fooled, but we always get revenge. In the end I am all those things. I have been loved, hurt, tricked, and held in the name of love. I am Taylor made.

            I have baggage and baggage makes you interesting. I have been heartbroken and heartbroken makes us a little less reckless. I have cried and crying makes you a little more lovable. A broken heart can be a good thing if you let it. Disappointment can be a bad thing if you let it. In one new song Taylor says we are the foxes and they are the hunters. She says she knows where to hide and be safe. Yes, I do too: it’s inside the great music and strong words from a 24 yr. old writer. Jesus saved my soul. God had my heart in his hands and sent me solace in a female artist. T Swift gave me hope that we are more than people say we are. I will always be a Swiftie because I’m Taylor made for it.

Comments

Popular Posts