Shopping vs my wallet

The other day I was shopping for groceries and noticed the price of potato chips. One brand was the regular price but another was on sale. The most interesting part was the sale on the second brand. It was advertised as “on sale” and limited to four bags. The kicker for me was that it was .75 cents a bag more than the first brand. Is it really a bargain?
            Ok, I could believe that brand “A” is better than brand “B” but I did not think so. I think the big sign and warning of limits made the sale. I have seen large lineups for a new IPhone on the first day of sale. The phone will be available the next day you know. Is it that much better than your current phone? The “got to have it first” mentality might be in play here. Did you know that companies put sales on lower shelves because consumers tend to shop straight on looking ahead?
            Are we really willing to be sheep and just follow the heard master? If Apple says new, improved, and unique do we bleat and bah while stampeding to their store? I think companies know we will. I remember the Cabbage patch doll craze. The media and company told us there was limited supply. The Doll was unique and never before seen by the public. Parents were fighting each other to gain the last one before Christmas. I even participated by wrestling one away from a little old lady. Do I still own it?
            What does God have to say about this crucial topic of shopping? Well the Bible talks in Matthew 6 about not worrying. Jesus says there are enough worries for today so don’t worry about tomorrow. The Psalms begin with a warning about the smooth talking visual harlot. Even in the Bible it’s all about the delivery, visual, and enticing signs. God repeats over and over that we should focus our eyes on better things than the next sale. Our eyes love eye candy.
            I am a scrooge during the holiday season. I can’t understand the hullabaloo over needing to buy the best and receive the best. Our wallets are finite as you well know. Is it right to be in debt on January 1 because of gifts? Is it in the Christmas spirit to worry over bills when all the wrapping paper is torn away? Where is the joy and warmth of Christmas within debt, stress, and expectation? Yes of course it’s great to give. Yes of course it’s great to get something from a loved one. Maybe buying, giving, and receiving is a little bit more than finding intimacy with your credit card.
            Now I’m not going to sit here and tell you to knit socks for your brother or son. Those days of making gifts are gone and we all know it. I wish the handmade gift still existed because then it truly came from the heart. It took time and care to make that thing for someone. Today we are reduced to gift cards and mounting bills. The stores say hurry. The stores say Black Friday is better than Boxing Day. On Boxing Day they say it’s better than Black Friday. How about red Saturday when we clear away the wrapping paper and forget what we got last year from someone. Do you even remember what you got someone last year?
            Shopping for someone or yourself is fun: I know. We do lose a little personal touch from our hearts with the gift card. Do we get people what’s on sale or what they need or desire? My mom is an oddball when it comes to gifts. She wraps balloons, candy, and anything else individually so I have lots to unwrap. To me the cool part is the thought and time she takes to make my Christmas fun. It did not cost her much monetarily but I received her time and heart with each little gift.

            My thought is this: step back and ask yourself what the sale represents. Is the sign meant to give you a break or break you? Do you really need it on this day? Yes sometimes it does. I bought a washer and dryer last year. I loved the sale. One week later on Black Friday I could have bought them for 400 dollars cheaper. What I learned is there is always a better sale if we are not running around like sheep.

Comments

Popular Posts